"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it." - Ferris Bueller

Saturday, March 03, 2007

Wild Hogs: A Review of Sorts

Feeling lulled into the seemingly all-star cast of Martin Lawrence, John Travolta, William H. Macy, and Tim Allen? Thinking to yourself, "This should be a laugh!"? Add to that Ray Liotta and Marisa Tomei, the two guys from Cheap Seats on ESPN and the other half of Jack Black's band "Tenacious D?" and think you've got a case of comic genius on your hands? WRONG!

I am sharing my mounting disappointment in this movie with you to spare you from this sad mirage of a good movie, filled with over-the-top "jokes" and terrible overacting and not in a Naked Gun type of way. This is one of those instances where I was looking for something even just remotely marginal for a Friday night movie but it turned into a two-hour waste that made me wish that movie theaters gave refunds for showing you crap.

Sounds harsh, yes. Quick recap: four men-friends, sick of their suburbia-lives, take to the open road on their bikes for a cross-country breather, where they run into a motorcycle gang who steals one of their bikes, then they get it back, blow up the biker's bar, save a town, and return home as happier men. I swear I thought that somewhere in there, between the four of them, there should have been at least one joke that was funny. And there was one in there, but it wasn't even delivered by them, it was delivered by a sheriff who doesn't carry a gun during a scene where the guys were all taking a turn slapping a bull's ass. So there you go. That one joke earned this movie a half a Peep because I actually laughed out loud on that one. But Evan and I spent most of the movie looking at each other in disbelief and shaking our heads at the myriad of non-funny ridicu-jokes. Half a Peep. Stinky movie. I shoulda known.

6 comments:

ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

Oh the disappointment! I thought it would have been good.

Anonymous said...

How do you find a picture of a half of a peep?
you are very resourceful!
thanks for saving me the disappointment..we rarely go to the movies, so I always want to make it a "sure thing"
:)

Irish Church Lady :) said...

Thanks for the tip. We are going out to a movie tonight. We will steer clear of that one!

Sparky Duck said...

i hate hate hate John Travolta (i think its Grease overdose in college) so this movie was already teetering for me. Thanks for helping me push it off the see list.

Barb said...

I could tell be the commercials not to waste any money.

Anonymous said...

You know, my husband and I went to see this movie last Friday night and we enjoyed it. There were some lame jokes, but the idea of four guys sort of having a midlife crisis and getting into the trouble they got into was an interesting plot we thought. The one part that left me hanging was Travolta's character. I wanted to know what happened to him after the wives came to get the other guys. We all sort of knew what was happening to the other three guys, but Travolta's character...still out there in limbo as far as I am concerned.