"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it." - Ferris Bueller

Friday, March 16, 2007

St. Patty's Day Eve

A day before St. Patrick's Day and I can already feel the sound of bagpipes coursing through my veins. Wee! I love St. Patrick's Day! Especially now that I'm an "O'Sullivan", it makes me feel so much more Irish than I really am, which is 0%. Fully recovered now from my "anger spell" (see, I told you, it only takes a day!), I'm eager to find me a lovely corned beef and cabbage recipe that'll knock everyone's leprechaun tights off. I wish we had a more elaborate celebration planned for the holiday, but we have a birthday party to go to and of course, St. Patty's Day does coincide with March Madness, so at the most, we'll have a few people over for some green beer (maybe this lovely little margarita ditty I found over at Sparky Duck's place) and whatever corned beef concoction I come up with. There is one drawback to giving up red meat for Lent and that would be the corned beef tradition. This, of course, I realized days after I made my Lenten vow to mend my carnivorous eating habits. But I will take it upon myself to exempt myself on St. Patty's day because I know of at least two occasions that the Pope has excused eating red meat on Friday because St. Patty's day fell on a Friday, once even on Good Friday, the big one! Not that I'm comparing myself to the Pope, of course, and not that I have any right to declare or amend anything, but I will exempt myself tomorrow and I think Jesus will forgive me. Besides, I've been so good! Even in D.C. when red meat was in my face everywhere we went, burger joints, chili joints, literally everywhere. In fact, it was almost humorous how much red meat was flailing its arms in my face, taunting me, because it's never really around me when I haven't put any restrictions on myself. Isn't that the way it works though? The Secret would say that's the law of attraction working. The more I think about something (even if I don't want it) I'm luring it to myself and calling it to me. By the way, I asked some of you what you thought about the book, The Secret, a while back, and I have to say, the more my mom and I read about it, the more we find it humorous. One line just sticks out in my head and it's something like this: ask the universe for whatever you want, and you don't have to figure out "how" to get it, the universe will just move everything around to bring it to you. Hmm. That's interesting. Well, Universe, I want a convertible Corvette, skinny thighs, and a million bucks, if you could get going on that, that would be great. And I'll let you all know if the universe gets that for me. Anyway, whenever something happens that's weird, like something appears as if out of nowhere after we've just discussed it, my whole family and I look at each other and yell "The Secret!" It's actually pretty funny. It's really just interchangeable with "what a coincidence!"

Where was I? Oh yeah, St. Patrick's Day. I really miss St. Patrick's Day in New York City. What a riot that is! There are a zillion Irish pubs all over the place, and people are littered all over the streets and the sidewalks, stumbling in and out of all of them. And everyone is your friend. It's such a friendly holiday. Unfortunately, the days of stumbling in and out of pubs, even here in Florida, are likely winding down for me. Until retirement. We're now in "having friends over" mode. And I'm not really sure when that happened. Probably around the same time that "date night" started to consist of a nice dinner, followed by a trip to Wal-Mart to see if they still have that sofa table we like.

Anyway, I ran this morning for the first time since last Wednesday and by last Wednesday, I don't mean two days ago, I mean 9 days ago. Yikes. I felt like I had concrete shoes on. It was rough! Glad to be back on the wagon though. Gooooo healthy lifestyle!!!!!!

Happy Friday!

2 comments:

Jean-Luc Picard said...

Tap o' the marnin t' ye, Chriatie!

Sparky Duck said...

ok first off, thanks for the shoutout.

next, ARE YOU NUTS arent you just jonesing for a cheeseburger right now?

I think the Secret is some sort of cult thing