"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it." - Ferris Bueller

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Psycho Crazy Nazi Mom

OK, so I really am not one of those moms who would just assume put their baby in a plastic bubble so as to protect them and not allow a single germ on them. I must preface this with that fact. I've been reading a bunch of "new mom" books, some of them handbook-ish, like "What to Expect the First Year" and some of them just funny, like "Sippy Cups are not for Chardonnay". Which was a really cute book by a comedianne I've never heard of. I saw her on the Today Show promoting her new book and she was pretty funny so I bought it while browsing the baby book section at Barnes and Noble looking for a how-to-make-your-own-babyfood book. A couple of pages in, she starts making fun of some new moms. Then, as I keep reading, just as you would think, she talks about her newfound experiences and life lessons. Then she makes fun of other moms some more, you know the type, the ones who take the bumper off their crib because they're afraid that their baby might suffocate. Or the moms who don't use blankets because they're afraid that their baby might suffocate. Or the moms who make their own babyfood. Sounds crazy, right? She makes it sound really bad, like "never get cornered by one of those crazy moms". I swear I never thought I was going to be one of "those" moms and I still don't really think I am. I was always the one who never had an opinion on anything and had the messiest room and talked incessantly in class.


See, by nature I can't be one of those moms. I'll have you know that I've since put the bumper back on the crib since Aidan started sticking his arm through the rails and getting it stuck. (We check on him at least 4 times throughout the night to make sure he hasn't suffocated.) Also we use "sleepsacks" that act just like blankets only he wears it and they look really cute! (and they calm my nerves at night about the possibility of suffocation, isn't that a plus??!!) Oh... and Aidan just wrapped up a week of green beans. He's on to potatoes. (I made em myself.) Sigh.

No comments: