"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it." - Ferris Bueller

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Getting Carded

I rejoiced when a cashier at Publix recently carded me for wine because as the times become few and farther between I know my "getting-carded-days" are numbered. I think I may have actually thrown my arms up in the air and yelled "Thank You" when she carded me because it had been such a long time. And she, who was at least in her 50's said, "Trust me, you never know which time will be your last. Enjoy it." That was about a month ago. I haven't been carded since. Yet. And at 31, I am scared to DEATH about not ever getting carded again. It's one of the first obvious signs of the fact that I am (shudder) aging! And now I must face this! I have always looked young, and in my youth, (I could kick myself now) I hated that because people would always think me much younger than I was, and older guys wouldn't take me seriously. But getting older, it has been somewhat of a sigh of relief and a crutch, if you will, and it has helped me to continue getting carded in my 30's, which I relish. But there are these times, where, to someone else, there's no question that I am no longer that strapping little fresh-faced 2o-something, like on New Year's Eve, when the four of us "parents" went to the obvious college crowd Irish Pub and the bouncer looks at us while we take our ID's out and just matter-of-factly says, "Put em away, come on in" and doesn't even give our lonely, neglected ID's a thought or a gratuitous glance. When is the last time you got carded? Do you still get carded? When will the last time I get carded be? I fear it is close.

2 comments:

Sparky Duck said...

you need to frequent the themed Applebees, Friday's restaurants, they still card us occasionally because they are supposed to card until your 35, and im still under 35

Anonymous said...

Yes, I too love when I get carded, which by the way, still happens to me-even at the ripe old age of 35. My claim to fame is that I got carded for a rated-r movie when I was 28. I love when one of my students mistakes me for another student and then I drop the "I'm your professor" bomb. Cheers to all of us 30 somethings that still look like we could be in college!!!