"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it." - Ferris Bueller

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

An Obsession Revival

Recently, I was disheartened to hear a dj on the radio describe my favorite band as "one step away from working at the 7-11" after playing one of their songs. Oh it's so sad to see your band go from on top of the world to barely breathing. My favorite band in the whole world is Candlebox. A lot of people make fun of me for this but I don't care. What's any band without their die-hard fans, right? Besides, their song "Change" was a huge part of my college memory. Anyway, they're coming back here and I'm seeing them on Saturday night! At least they're still doing shows. The last time I saw them was something like 8 years ago; I was a single, skinnier version of myself and it was at the same tiny venue I will see them at on Saturday. The lead singer, Kevin, waltzed past me in his cowboy hat (usually I am not a cowboy hat person, but the rocker cowboy thing is acceptable to me, i.e. Richie Sambora) and actually looked at me and smiled and I have retained that memory in a glass case in my head ever since. I've seen them play 6 times and the only thing that would complete the experience would be if my sister were there to share it with me. I think she has seen them with me all of those times minus one. And by the way, if you're not sure if you've ever heard them, it's the first song on the MP3 player on this blog. Most people don't know them by name, only by song but don't worry, I am not offended. So for this week, this wonderful, wonderful, Candlebox week, I salute you, dear Candlebox! I will be there to support you, standing by your side like I have all these years, and trying to keep you from that interview at the 7-11.

6 comments:

Mom not Mum (Sandy) said...

Have a great time! We'll expect a full report next week after you have recovered. LOL

Sparky Duck said...

wow, now there is a way way back memory. Candlebox had a great first album and then pfft. I hope you have a great time.

Stine said...

Happy Candlebox week! I'm in the process of writing a post where you're being tagged...

Anonymous said...

You are totally the cutest! Candlebox! Who knew?

I have an affinity for all bands old, particularly 80's-early 90's. Music is so memory driven, it's crazy! I'm always a sucker for old Heart songs, Ratt, Bryan Adams..pretty much any sappy love song that I was dedicating (in my head of course) to some stupid boy. ha ha.
I know, I feel bad for some of these bands..if they show up at the fair (aka: Pat Benetar is at the OS fair this year) it is the kiss of death. I bet these old "hard rockers" never dreamed they would be rocking out between the cotton candy and the merry go round!
Keep it real sister..

JD said...

Hey, I still have that CD. I even listened to it about 3-4 months ago for nostalgia's sake. Based on the fact that you've seen them 8 times, I wonder if you were in the audience the time I saw them opening for Rush at the old Thunderdome (now Tropicana Field)?

Barb said...

I still like Barry Manilow, so I have no room to say anything LOL