"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it." - Ferris Bueller

Friday, April 27, 2007

A Headache, A Bathing Suit, and Wet Pants

I have a headache big time. I woke up with it at 2am and took my pregnancy-approved migraine pills and it went away. Only to return again around 6 when Poops woke up crying. I wanted to go in and console him and say something like "It's still sleepy time" (more of a begging type plead), which he wouldn't have liked but he would have understood and then return to bed, but there was no stopping this crying. So the whole family was up at 6. This is early for me. I don't even like the normal 7am thing, but I live with it. My wishlist would be 7:30. When I think about 7:30, I go into a daydream-like trance and I get all warm and fuzzy and feel like Calgon just took me away. I just don't work well early. I used to write for the morning news shows, which meant getting into work at 4 am and that was really rough for me. I call those the dark days. Going to work when it's still dark is just not natural.

So yesterday I went bathing suit shopping which was, of course, as always, magical. Unfortunately, I am not the woman who was blessed with a pregnancy without stretchmarks no matter how much I slathered on the cocoa butter, so I had to factor this into my suit-buying. And I also wanted to make sure I was going to accomodate my eventually expanding belly, so I ended up with a sort of "tankini" sort of thing. It's green. It didn't look that bad in the dressing room, but I pulled it out of the bag at home yesterday and thought, sheesh that's green. Even typing "green" makes the swimsuit seem somehow greener and I am beginning to rethink my purchase. Maybe the classic black would have been a better choice. I got the afternoon "off" yesterday because my mother-in-law was able to come over and watch Poops while I ran some errands. I relished the silence of being alone because I think besides a short drive to a friend's house this week, I haven't been actually alone, all by myself, in quite some time. Sometimes I miss that. I need it. I don't even turn the radio on in the car because I love the quiet. Of course, what do I do with my time off but choose bathing suit shopping. But you know what? It wasn't actually that bad. I gained a bit of weight with Poops' pregnancy. Despite my efforts, I only lost about 10 pounds of the weight that settled in after the hospital (at the hospital, I actually lost 25 pounds which was part baby, but mostly water from preeclampsia-yes, almost 20 pounds in water. You should have seen my face.) So I won't do the math, but because I am pregnant now again, before I was able to rid myself of all of the babyweight, I now have to put dieting on hold and own it. So that's what I'm doing. I won't be like this forever, I refuse. But I can't do anything about it at this moment except watch how much I gain. So too bad. If you have to see me on the beach in a bathing suit, you're just going to have to get over it. I have. I just gotta own it for now. I live in Florida and I'm staring down the barrel of a partial summer pregnancy, so I am wearing tanktops and a bathing suit and I am going to own it! Even around my skinny size 2 post-baby girlfriends. Jerks.

Oh, also I sat in water. You would think I'd learn because this is the second time this has happened. I have a giant water bottle with a straw that hides under a thingy when you push it. I put the water bottle on the driver's seat and went into the mall. When it's hot, this particular water bottle tends to leak out the straw, I don't know why, I think something about the water expanding, and it goes right up and out of the straw by itself. This time, all over my seat. But I didn't notice it until I got out of the car to go into CVS to refill a prescription that my entire butt was soaked. That moment of realization when you feel something cool on your backside, which is, of course, the breeze on your wet butt. So I am inside, continually pulling down my shirt in the back as far as it will go, but of course it doesn't hide the whole butt because my shirt is not that long, but I totally need this prescription so I gut it out and wait. Eventually my name is called and a line forms behind me as I'm paying for my prescription and I'm paying and pulling on the back of my shirt simultaneously and I realize the drugstore is probably the worst place to have wet my pants because the whole line is probably thinking I'm picking up a prescription for incontinence. Well I owned that too. I walked out with my prescription with my head held high. Oh well! There's something about getting older that makes you care just a little less each year about what other people think. Happy Friday! Have a wonderful weekend! I'll post our walk pics tomorrow!

1 comment:

ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

I have to buy a new suit this summer too and I am so not looking forward to it. And as far as the post above about Ms. Crow, um, no hand shaking here either. Nasty! How about we try to use less paper towls or napkins? Toilet paper is a must.